Overwatch 2 let gamers take Mauga, the hero shooter’s new tank character, out for a check drive throughout BlizzCon earlier in November. I didn’t actually look after him then, and I discovered him one way or the other, regardless of his large body and highly effective talents, to be a little bit of a pushover. That’s not what you need in an Overwatch tank, and it seems like Blizzard has heard that suggestions sufficient that it’s making adjustments to Mauga earlier than he launches in season 8.
In a post on the official Overwatch 2 website, director Aaron Keller delved into the suggestions the crew obtained throughout Mauga’s check part. A key takeaway was that Mauga felt weak. I can vouch for that. He is a big dude but it surely felt like he simply melted underneath even the slightest focus fireplace. It appeared like I may unload a clip and a half into his head with Soldier: 76 and he’d go down with minimal resistance. So, adjustments are on the best way, and can land earlier than the brand new hero’s official launch. Keller shared a couple of specifics, and it undoubtedly looks as if Mauga’s getting a survivability overhaul.
Two sweeping adjustments embody lowering his head’s hitbox, which suggests it will likely be tougher to land headshots and do extra injury per bullet, in addition to making 150 of his 650 well being into Armor. Armor has a 30 p.c injury discount in comparison with commonplace well being, which signifies that for the primary 150 injury you unload on Mauga, you’ll be doing considerably much less injury per shot. This alone provides Mauga extra time to retaliate earlier than you’re taking him out.
So far as his talents go, Overrun, which is principally his model of Reinhardt’s cost, will now scale back as much as 50 p.c injury whereas lively as a substitute of 30, and Cardiac Overdrive, which heals teammates as they do injury, will grant these in vary extra lifesteal for injury carried out.
The total rundown is as follows:
- Substitute a piece of his well being with armor. We’re experimenting with 150 internally.
- Scale back the scale of his head’s hit quantity.
- Enhance the injury discount on Overrun. Initially it was at 30%, we’re testing it at 50%. Additionally, this will not be interrupted by Hack.
- Enhance the lifesteal on Cardiac Overdrive.
- There are fairly a couple of adjustments in flight for his weapons. We’re testing totally different spreads and firing charges when utilizing each weapons concurrently, in addition to totally different injury, ammo, and falloff numbers. We’ll have extra particulars on these as they solidify.
Mauga will be a part of Overwatch 2’s roster on December 5. Blizzard additionally introduced the subsequent two heroes at BlizzCon, together with Enterprise, the sport’s first nonbinary hero.